Flashback Friday - Taking the Right Promotion Photos

A Happy Accident...


From my Archive:

Feeling the pressure of a printing deadline, I was having a hard time taking a photo of myself to use on my "jewelry making" marketing materials.
I knew I wanted something personal...something artsy...and something that said something about me.
All I can say is thank goodness for digital cameras. I can't imagine how much money I would have wasted in bad film trying to get the right shot.
After struggling most of the day and night I finally gave up. Nothing felt right. It was all too planned and stiff looking.
I went to bed well after midnight and as I was laying there I had a sudden urge to jump out of bed...in my PJ's and run up to my studio.
I didn't really have a plan but just started putting on lots of my handmade jewelry...no rhyme or reason...necklaces and bracelets.
I set my camera up...moved my pajama straps out of view and started snapping...in black and white.
It was fun. I started to think about how lucky I am to be doing something I love for work and how grateful I am to have the freedom to create...even in the middle of the night in my PJ's!

These two pictures (one vertical, one horizontal) are from that "session" and I have used them many times.
They might not be perfect technically but they felt like "me" and the best part is that I took them.
When I decided to just let go...it was effortless.