The Truth About Tracing


In a previous post I referenced a conversation in an industry specific private group about the moral and legal topic of tracing. Many people weighed in and viewpoints were divided.

Some felt like "as an artist" tracing is not ok, while others felt like it was ok to trace your own artwork or photographs. I do think that all agreed it is never ok to trace the work of another artist without permission.

There were also some questions raised about successful, popular artists or designers that trace copyright free or public domain images as part of their design process. Maybe that is the difference between being an artist and a designer...but honestly, I'm not sure.

Wouldn't art and design originate in the same place? Aren't they both a form of creative expression? Don't they both take talent in some capacity? Both utilize balance, form, special considerations, color palettes and a variety of mediums?

In my opinion, if you combine or alter images that are in the public domain in a way that is trend smart, pleasing to the eye, well balanced and sale-able, it's still art. So wouldn't that make the creator an artist, even if all of the components didn't originate with them?

I am an artist with every fiber of my being and while I'm not drawn (at this time) to using public images, I do trace sections of my own drawings and photographs. I look at it like this... its all my art and I can combine it in any configuration that I choose.

Do you trace? 
How do you feel about tracing? 
What difference do you see between being an artist and a designer?

I look forward to hearing your opinions. Please share your thoughts.

Have a great day!
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment