It's a Small World When You Reach Out



My mailman just came to my door and along with the regular mail was a padded envelope. I didn't think much of it. I actually thought it was something I had ordered for my son. As I walked to the kitchen I ripped it open, half paying attention. I pulled out the contents and was really confused. As I looked closer I realized what it was.

Years ago, an artist friend of mine participated in a group sketchbook project. I had never heard of such a thing before seeing her post on social media. I was immediately intrigued and wanted to participate in a project like this but had no idea how to find one.

Life went on and I forgot about it until I saw a social media post for another group sketchbook project about a month ago. I visited their Facebook page and offered to receive a sketchbook if anyone was looking for someone to pass it on to. It seemed like there weren't any located in the U.S.A., so I just waited.

THEN, someone replied and offered to ship their book to me! Yay!! Thank you Annette!! The trip from Australia took a while so I kind of forgot about it...until today.

I think I greatly underestimated the emotional response I would have as I opened the book and saw the first decorated page. An amazing sea scape with delicate details and lots of deep ocean movement. The artist was from Derby, England. I felt an overwhelming flood of emotions as I held the book and flipped through the pages. Pages that other artists in other parts of the world had poured their soul on. I touched their mediums and read their brief notes on the backs of their pages and felt a connection to each one. Suddenly the world seemed a lot smaller.

The book is about half filled and I haven't decided what my contribution will be yet. I will share my art here when it's done.

If you would like to start your own sketchbook relay or just a learn about their project and the charity component you can visit 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sketchbookrelay/
and
http://sketchbookrelay.com/

Have you participated in a group art project like this? What would you like to draw?

I'm excited to get started.

Pam

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I did a round robin journal project several years ago with about 15 people. I would definitely like to participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are the person I referred to! I will let you know when I'm done and it's ready to ship ❤️

      Delete
  2. That first page is AMAZING isn't it? I think all the contributions have their own special something. Looking forward to seeing what you add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again!! I can't wait to see it all done.

      Delete