Are You an Artist? What Exactly is an Artist?


There was a recent thread that I was part of on an industry specific social media page posing the question "as an artist, is it OK to trace?". While the conversation stayed professional and civil, it did draw many strong opinions and viewpoints on the creation of art. Which then lead me to personally reflect on the thought, what makes someone an artist? 

Years ago, I taught a variety of painting and craft classes and I couldn't even count how many of my students would introduce themselves by adding some form of the phrase "I'm not creative" or "I don't have one artistic bone in my body" or the ever popular "I can't even draw a straight line!". 

I have to admit, that this both saddened me and propelled me to help change their minds by reigniting their creative fire. I believe we all come into this world with that fire intact and most people at some point in their journey have it extinguished or dulled. It could be from a teacher, a stranger or a loved one. It could be on purpose or by accident but there always seems to be some reason...some moment or action that signals inside that they are not good enough or that they are not a "real" artist. 

I'm grateful to have witnessed countless personal "creative combustion's" for my students by the end of my classes or workshops. It was kind of magical to see the world of creative expression open up to someone after many years of that door being closed.

Which brings me back to my original question, what makes someone an artist? And maybe the next question should be, who decides that criteria? 

What are your thoughts on this? 
Was there a moment or incident when your creativity was stifled? 
Do you feel comfortable expressing yourself creatively? 
Have you helped someone else regain their creative strength? 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, 
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment