A Body Healthy Studio Work Area for Artists, Designers and Crafty People! Post three in a series of three.


You can read my earlier 2 posts on my blog

Upgraded Work Area:

After working with my temporary standing work area for about 5 months, I was ready to commit. I had worked out some kinks, figured out what I liked (everything) and what I didn’t (nothing) and had gained experience getting comfortable with the thought of standing for most of the day.

Last month, due to some construction in my studio, I was forced to remove everything…EVERYTHING. This provided a wonderful opportunity to recreate my workspace in a more permanent and yes, attractive way.


I kept the same basic ideas and reworked them to be functional and pretty. A place I would enjoy creating in everyday. While I grew to LOVE my standing digital work area, I didn’t like how slap-dash and messy it was.

I had an armoire that I used for books but decided to convert it to my standing work area. It was in my son’s room when he was a baby so it also has wonderful memories attached to it. I took the doors off and removed the existing shelves. I cut down the wood shelves I had used in my rigged version and attached them to the inside of the upper unit to create the two levels for my keyboard and drawing tablet. I adjusted the heights with some extra wood scraps. I had some leftover fabric so I covered the inside walls using a staple gun. The armoire was set up to hold a TV so it had plugs built in.





Everything fit and it ended up being a cozy place to work. It also looks neat and clean because everything is contained.


Right next to that is my seated desk making it seamless for me to transition between both throughout the day.

I am so grateful to work from my home studio and want to be able to create for a long time. Hopefully these steps will help make that a possibility. We only get one body. I am acutely aware of how important it is to take care of it.

Please feel free to share any of your own tips and ideas on how you set up your creative workspace.
Pam


2 comments:

  1. Excellent information. I love peeking in other artists' studios. Thanks for sharing yours and this really great information on space. I too believe ergonomics is so important when working in a sitting or standing job all day. I have my computer at a sitting desk with a very good ergonomic chair and set up and then a workdesk where I create crafty and art projects on a standing height workdesk. I then use the wall in garage as a makeshift wall easel when painting vertically. Great information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I'm glad you found this helpful. There are two previous posts too, in case you missed them :-) What kind of art do you do?

      Delete