Musicals Fuel my Creativity


Last week I discovered a new-to-me musical.

I usually listen to music when I paint and draw. TV or movies can be too distracting and I find myself looking away from my work too often, causing me to loose concentration.

For me, music fills the background and sometimes inspires part of the creation. I like many genres but seem to gravitate towards easy listening, the great American standards and musicals.

I really like using Pandora because of it's ease of use and variety. I have discovered many new singers and songs that way.

Last Friday I was listening to our "Broadway Musicals" station and heard a very clever song. I wrote it down to share with my son later that day and looked up the play. It looked awesome and I proceeded to google all of the songs. It is filled with hidden and not so hidden references to a lot of other shows so, which I thought was really fun.

Unexpectedly, the show had just started its national tour and the first stop was about an hour away from us in Boston. It was running through the weekend...what timing! We got tickets and went that night.

All three of us LOVED everything about it....the music, the performers and the story. If you like campy, fun, upbeat musicals, I highly recommend you see it if it comes to your area. It was described as a cross between The Book of Mormon, Spamalot, The Producers and The Drowsy Chaperone and it totally lived up to that description.

The venue added to our overall experience. It was at The Boston Opera House. It's a grand, historic, showplace that has been renovated and restored to its spectacular, original glory.

I get so much inspiration and artistic motivation from visiting places like this. Sometimes the details are a little overwhelming for me to take in, so having pictures helps me process all of it. Everywhere I looked there was another amazing trim, finish or accessory.

Here is a link to the shows website and to the YouTube video of the song that started it all for us.

The show is called "Something Rotten".

See what you think!

Click here to visit their website
Click here to see the song "A Musical" performed

Until next week,
Pam

Bonus - Click here to read my past post on music to work by




No comments:

Post a Comment