Being an "Artist" is a Great Excuse!


Do what you like.
Wear what you like.
Decorate with what you like.

Just tell people you're an artist!

As I was packing up our holiday decorations, I decided that I wasn't ready to say goodbye to all of them.

I began thinking how a potential buyer would feel walking through our house and I wondered if they would think it was weird that I left some of my favorite decorations up all year.

But then I pictured the agent being able to say "well an artist lives here" and instantly my eclectic decorations, color choices and details would all be acceptable and make sense somehow.

As a child growing up with a parent in the entertainment industry, there was always a "certain way" to act and "appropriate" behavior for all situations. Maybe my art (as I call it) was my way to have control over my self expression.

Under the umbrella of being an "artist", I could do pretty much anything. There was a freedom in having that creative outlet.

Being an artist came with different rules and expectations. It gave me permission to express myself in personal ways and at the same time it put things in context for others to understand me.

It was almost as if with that title, you were put in a separate category. One that didn't have strict boundaries and one, that I found out much later, other's secretly wished they were in.

It never really felt like an option or choice for me. At the time, I didn't know any different. It was just who I was. But now, I see the reaction some of my choices receive and the reaction people have to other artists as well. I feel like we are seen through a filter.

Do you have something odd you want to wear? Do you have a vibrant color you want to use in your house? Do you like to collect items from past? DO IT! Don't wait for approval from anyone. If you like it, that's enough. 

Tell yourself you're an artist!

I believe we are all artists in our own way.

When you think of artists, do you have a more open, freethinking, expressive, personality in mind and do you feel like you would give an "artist" more leeway as far as what they choose to wear or surround themselves with?

Until next week,
Pam

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pam. For me art is everywhere. I think most people think of artists as bohemian and starving unless they become a huge name. The truth of the matter is that art is EVERYWHERE. I think of artists as generous with a gift that they have been given. Expressive in so many ways! With your varied an full background, I know you understand my perception. So here's to all the artists BOOYA. Thank for this post Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment! I so agree and I love the word "bohemian". I have always looked at what I do as a business and never even thought of being a "starving artist". I guess it's all in the mindset...which I know you do such great work around.

      Delete