A Body Healthy Studio Work Area for Artists, Designers and Crafty People! Post two in a series of three.

You can read my earlier post below about the birth of my standing work area and see details on the process of creating a back healthy studio space.

In all of my research, I did come across other ergonomic and healthy work area suggestions. Please see some that I implemented below.

Accessories:

Anti-fatigue Mat
While my back loved that I was standing, my feet were sore from being on them for so long. Plus I like to work barefoot and that was hard on my soles. New research! I hunted for the best anti-fatigue mat I could afford. After reading many posts and reviews I decided to go with the CUMULUSPRO COMMERCIAL GRADE- 24 in. x 36 in. x 3/4 in, (SKU 9100) for around $100. I purchased it online at Imprint Mats. What a difference! It’s amazing. No tired feet, no backache, good with or without shoes. I believe it is an integral part to the whole standing workspace. It had a slight odor when I opened it but that left quickly.



Drawing Tablet Pen Alteration:
I thankfully haven’t had any serious issues with my hands or wrists but I know how common and debilitating these injuries can be for artists and designers. I stumbled upon suggestions from this website (http://www.claytowne.com/beats-digging-ditches/ergonomic-tips-and-tricks-for-graphic-designers-web-designers-artists-and-office-workers/) and have found them to be super helpful.  I did wrap my digital pen with foam to make it bigger and while it felt very unnatural at first, now it feels weird if I don’t have the foam on it. I think it has really helped save my hand and wrist.


Ergonomic Mouse:
Many years ago, when I started to show signs of wrist and hand fatigue, I switched to a rollerball mouse (Logitech Marble Mouse) and have never looked back! I know people have a hard time with these at first but you CAN get used to it. I believe that this, along with the other steps I have taken, have helped me stay healthy with the amount of work I do, my age and my personal body issues.

Task Lighting:
In my opinion, this is one of the most important things to consider for a healthy workstation.  When I draw, paint, make jewelry, etc…I am totally in love with my Ott light. From their website “OttLite table and desk lamps bring natural daylight illumination to help you see details clearly and colors accurately so you can do what you love, longer.”

I have the “13w Slimline Task Lamp” and purchased mine at a national fabric and craft store during a sale. It folds down and out of the way when not in use. I think it is normally around $50 but they have lights in a wide range of price points and styles. I also have a couple of the portable “Ottlite LED Mini Flip Lights”. They are good for travel and clip onto your sketchbook.



In my next post I will share my new updated standing work area and studio changes.

I would love to know if any of these work for you!
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment